The Part 2 Course 2024
FELLOWSHIP OF THE AUSTRALIAN MEDICAL ACUPUNCTURE COLLEGE FAMAC COURSE 2024 (Part 2)
The Australian Medical Acupuncture College Fellowship Course (Part 2) is the senior qualification in Medical Acupuncture in Australia. In the Part 2 Fellowship course candidates learn the advanced knowledge required to practice at a tertiary level for Hospital, University and Specialist level practice.
Entry into the Part 2 Fellowship course requires both completion of the 12-month Part 1 AMAC course in Medical Acupuncture as well as a further “Gap Year” using medical acupuncture in your clinical practice.
The course consists of a minimum of five full day practice visits, weekly online lectures, interactive case discussions, clinical mentoring sessions and includes hospital visit. The examination process contains written, clinical, and oral sections. The successful candidates are granted a title of FAMAC (Fellowship of the Australian Medical Acupuncture College).
The following Pre-requisite Requirements must ALL be met prior to undertaking Australian Medical Acupuncture Part 2 Fellowship Course:
1. Successful completion of the AMAC Part 1 Course (conceded pass at a Part 1 supplementary exam is not acceptable) and a Certificate of Completion of both Written and Clinical Examinations; and
2. Subsequent one year (minimum) practicing Medical Acupuncture as part of a Medical / Dental Practice before commencement of Part 2 Course; and
3. Current Unconditional Medical / Dental Registration with AHPRA; and
4. Currently Actively Practicing their chosen Dental / Medical Specialty in General or Specialty Practice with full access to patients for using their acquired medical acupuncture skills; and
5. Able to travel interstate for practice visits on an approximate monthly basis * Please Note: This is a small-group course and Practice Visits only occur when safe to do so subject to state border and health restrictions.
The Part 2 course is primarily a clinical course where practice visits are an essential part of teaching; a minimum requirement of five practice visits is required. Failing to attend a practice visit must be made up with an extra visit to a Part 2 Examiner Mentoring practice. The clinical day involves visits to your practice to see your patients for a full day. Doctors entering the course should have patients in active treatment with Medical Acupuncture in their clinical practices.
- Topics covered include
- Course Structure
- Graduate Outcomes
- CPD matters
- Registration details
The emphasis of the Course is on the practical clinical understanding and treatment of patients; the Part 2 Course integrates TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) and neurophysiology within the framework of the clinical examination and treatment of patients. The practical aspects of medical diagnosis and treatment are integrated with neurophysiology and TCM; and applied directly to patient presentations in clinical practice.
Topics covered include:
* Medical Acupuncture and Safety * Pain Overview
* Clinical aspects of complex pain problems *Advanced neurophysiology
* Clinical Acupuncture Trials & Systematic Reviews
* Relevant Anatomy & Physiology * Placebo Effects
* Clinical Effects of Acupuncture * Laser Effects and Micro-Acupuncture Systems
* Interpretation of Radiology/Imaging Reports in Relation to Important Conditions treated with Medical Acupuncture
* Special Neurological Conditions are covered such as Stroke, Headache and Pain that Acupuncture may treat
The course particularly includes detailed treatment and management of patients with complex pain conditions.
1. Apply understanding of neurophysiological mechanisms in context of clinical presentations and response to treatment
2. Improve clinical skills for examination and understanding of patients with significant pain, pain syndromes and other acupuncture sensitive conditions
3. Define strategies for safe application of acupuncture in treatment of patients in daily practice
4. Improve skills for clinical application of acupuncture in conjunction with standard care in the treatment of patients with chronic pain and other conditions
5. Use an evidence-based medicine approach to treatment
8. The Oral Examination at the end of the course
- Apply understanding of neurophysiological mechanisms in context of clinical presentations and response to treatment
- Improve clinical skills for examination and understanding of patients with significant pain, pain syndromes and other acupuncture sensitive conditions
- Define strategies for safe application of acupuncture in treatment of patients in daily practice
- Improve skills for clinical application of acupuncture in conjunction with standard care in the treatment of patients with chronic pain and other conditions
- Use an evidence-based medicine approach to treatment
The Australian Medical Acupuncture College Part 2 Course is recognised by the RACGP as a self-directed CPD Accredited Activity receiving 40 CPD points and recognition for medical acupuncture specific requirement. The points will apply after the successful completion of the course and will require each student to submit a self-directed ‘Higher Education / Professional Certification’ Activity Application Form and attach a copy of their course certificate of completion as evidence, via their GP CPD dashboard.
The Australian Medical Acupuncture College Part 2 Course is recognised by the RACGP as a self-directed CPD Activity receiving CPD hours and recognition for the medical acupuncture specific requirement. The CPD hours will apply after the successful completion of the course and will require each student to submit a self-directed ‘Higher Education / Professional Certification’ Activity Application Form and attach a copy of their course statement of completion as evidence, via their GP CPD Dashboard.
The AMAC Part 2 Course is also approved by the ACRRM for CPD hours and recognition for medical acupuncture MOPS (maintenance of professional standards). The CPD hours will be uploaded on your behalf to ACRRM on successful completion of the course. You will also receive a course statement of completion for your own records.
• Registration is via the online registration form: https://form.jotform.com/222858310481859
• Registration fee: $7,500 The registration fee covers all on-line virtual classes, all lecture materials and mentor teaching sessions. Payment Options
• Payment may be made via electronic transfer or by credit card payment taken over the phone. Details are given in the online registration form.
• A Tax invoice and receipt will be issued when payment received. Enrolment Dates
• Part 2 Course Enrolment dates are: 1 October 2023 to 19 January 2024 (inclusive) Please Note: Enrolments will not be accepted outside these dates.
• All registration documents and course fee must be received in full to confirm Enrolment.
• Closing Date for Part 2 Course Enrolment is 5.30pm Friday 19 January 2024; Enrolments will not be accepted after 5.30pm (AEST) Friday 19 January 2024 under any circumstance.